Выберите правильный вариант.
- We______ to the top of Holborn Hill before I______
that he was not smiling at all.
- a) had got, knew c) were getting, knew
- b) got, knew d) have got, have known
- Turning from the Temple gate as soon as I______ the
warning, I______ my way to Fleet Street, and then______
to Covent Garden.
- a) was reading, made, drove
- b) have read, made, drove
- c) had read, made, drove
- d) read, made, drove
- Seventy-seven detective novels and books of stories by
Agatha Christie______ into every major language, and
her sales______ in tens of millions.
- a) are translated, are calculated
- b) were translated, were calculated
- c) have been translated, are calculated
- d) had been translated, were calculated
- In recent years, scientific and technological developments
______human life on our planet, as well as our views both
of ourselves as individuals in society and of the universe as a whole.
- a) have drastically changed c) are drastically changing
- b) drastically changed d) change drastically
- Before we______ from swimming in the river near the
camp, someone______ our clothes, and we had to walk
back with our towels around us.
- a) returned, stole c) were returning, stole
- b) had returned, had stolen d) returned, had stolen
- Our new neighbours______ in Arizona for ten years before moving to their present house.
- a) had been living c) have been living
- b) lived d) were living
- We went into the house by a side door and the first thing 1
______was that the passages______ all dark, and that
she______ a candle burning there.
- a) noticed, were, left
- b) had noticed, had been, had left
- c) noticed, were, had left
- d) have noticed, were, had left
- The sun______ brightly all day on the roof of my attic,
and the room was warm.
- a) was shining c) has shone
- b) shone d) had been shining
- Although the period that we call «the Renaissance» ______in Italy in the fourteenth century, this idea of rebirth in learning characterized other epochs in history in different parts of the world.
- a) begins c) began
- b) had begun d) will begin
- Egyptians left no written accounts as to the execution of
mummification, so the scientists______ to examine
mummies and establish their own theories.
- a) had c) are having
- b) have d) have had
- In spite of the fact that it______ all day long, the match
______and the stands were full of spectators.
- a) had been raining, was not cancelled
- b) rained, was not cancelled
- c) was raining, has not cancelled
- d) had rained, had not been cancelled
- Many football fans claimed that after «Real FC»______
that important game it______ no chance to win the
- a) lost, had c) had lost, had
- b) lose, has d) will lose, will have
- I wish he______ last Friday but his flight______ because of bad weather. If he______ the next day I would
have brought him by car.
- a) arrived, was cancelled, called
- b) had arrived, was cancelled, had called
- c) had arrived, had been cancelled, called
- d) arrived, have cancelled, had called
- After many long years of devoted and patient instruction,
the doctor______ able to get the boy to clothe and feed
himself, recognize and utter a number of words, as well as write letters and form words.
- a) was c) had been
- b) has been d) were
- At the first stages of the Industrial Revolution advertising ______a relatively straightforward means of announcement and communication and was used mainly to promote novelties and fringe products which______ unknown to the public.
- a) had been, were c) was, were
- b) had been, had been d) was being, were
- Towards the end of the 19th century the larger companies
______more and more on mass advertising to promote
their new range of products. The market during this period ______by a small number of giant, conglomerate
- a) relied, has been controlled
- b) relied, had been controlled
- c) were relying, has been controlled
- d) relied, were controlled
- To cater for the fitness boom of the 80s and provide the up-to-date facilities people want, over 1,500 private health and fitness clubs______ during the past 15 years.
- a) were built c) have been built
- b) had been built d) will be built
- In 1936 the British Broadcasting Corporation______ to
provide a public radio service. Since then the BBC ______by the establishment of independent and commercial radio and television, which______ the BBC’s
- a) was established, was influenced, removed
- b) was established, has been influenced, removed
- c) was established, has been influenced, had removed
- d) was established, had been influenced, removed
- The Neolithic Age was a period of history which______
in approximately 6000 B.C. and______ until 3000 B.C.
- a) began, lasted c) began, was lasting
- b) had begun, lasted d) had begun, had been lasting
- A major problem in the construction of new buildings is that windows______ while air conditioning systems
- a) have been eliminated, have not been perfected
- b) were eliminated, were not perfected
- c) had been eliminated, had not been perfected
- d) eliminate, are not perfected